Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Restaurant Review: Rosa Mexicano

Tonight I dined at Rosa Mexicano for the first time, at the 18th St location. The space is very nice, and quite large. We sat in the back section that is under a large glass ceiling, allowing for natural light. It makes the space feel open and inviting. I noticed that while there were a lot of tables with many people at them, it was actually not too loud. I also noticed they have several large round tables available, which is always great for large groups. Everyone loves a good round table!

So for the food. We started with their famous guac, naturally. They roll over this big cart containing avocados and dishes of onions, tomatoes, cilantro (gross, and I forgot to tell them to leave it out), limes, etc. They mush it all together in front of you with a mortar and pestle. This guac was delicious! Even after I tried to pick out the cilantro. It really was one of the best I've had - super fresh, smooth, and tasty. For my entree, I ordered the Pescado/Baja Fish Tacos, but since it came with fried fish, I asked to substitute for the Pescado Pibil/Grilled Fish “Skillet Style.” It was marinated in achiote, orange and garlic and nicely cooked, with caramelized edges, and served right in the mini skillet. They topped the fish with habanero-lime marinated onions that were crunchy and a bit tangy, but paired well. To make my taco, they provided small soft tortillas, the creamiest blended black bean mixture, sweet corn, and rice. I wrapped up a few of these and was stuffed!

I usually enjoy a good fish taco, and this time was no exception. We had good service, good food, and good atmosphere. I would definitely go back, especially with a bigger group.

No comments:

Post a Comment