Friday, June 14, 2013

Restaurant Review: Red Egg

So I feel the need to preface this review by revealing my drunk state while dining at Red Egg. I would say I was tipsy, because one should be after 2 beers, but when you combine those 2 beers with no food and well, me, then you get a drunk me. So Jeremy and I roll in and I have to say it was crickets. There were other people dining at the time, but the way the tables are set up makes it feel empty. So noise level was super low which is great, but overall ambiance was eh. Anyway, we sat down and ordered up a storm (I should mention here that we had a voucher for 10 items from the dim sum menu + a bottle of wine).
We ordered: Steamed Pork & Shrimp Shumai, Steamed Shrimp Stuffed Tofu, Steamed Fish Balls, Steamed Roast Pork Buns, Pork Dumplings, Red Egg's Shrimp Dumplings, Crispy Seafood Dumplings, Grilled Beef Skewers, Crispy Shrimp Rolls, and Garlic Spare Ribs. If you are thinking, wow that is a shit ton of food, then you, sir, are correct.

So, we are at this two seater table that is not by any means large, and the food just keeps acomin'. I can't say the service was not on point, but I mean, if you see that we literally cannot fit a single additional dumpling on the table at the moment, perhaps you should hold up on the rest of our order. I literally had to tell them to hold off on a few dishes because it was overwhelming! So, the food was alright. Because I was drunk (don't forget about the mediocre-at-best bottle of red!), I couldn't possibly remember the details of each dish. I barely knew what I was even eating because it all happened so fast!

A few standouts: we did NOT like the Garlic Spare Ribs. Chewy, fatty and fried. It just was not appetizing. All of the dumplings were good, but again I couldn't really tell them apart. I do recall enjoying the Steamed Pork Buns, but who wouldn't? Also, the Steamed Shrimp Stuffed Tofu was a super interesting texture- kind of creamy/custardy. That sounds gross, but I didn't hate it! 

Here are some photos from the adventure, though I cannot identify much:






Overall, I give it an "eh." It accomplished the current goal of "get food in my belly," but I know there are a zillion other Chinese places in NYC to check out, and I will be doing just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment