Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Restaurant Review: Koi

Koi is a high end Japanese restaurant located in the Bryant Park Hotel, across from Bryant Park (though there are other locations). I have actually been here two other times in the past 4 years, but my friends wanted to go and I have had good experiences, so why not? The restaurant has a nice ambiance, very trendy and sophisticated. We sat in a semi-circle booth, so it was good for a larger group, as we were a party of 7. We were all pretty much splitting everything, so we ordered up a storm!

Koi Crispy Rice, topped with spicy tuna tartare and jalapeno, is by far their most popular starter. We were able to add additional pieces to the order to ensure there was enough for everyone, which was great. Yummy spicy tuna sits on top of dense rice molded into a sushi-style block. Somehow they make the rice crispy and delicious. I don't know what they do, but I know that I love it and will always order this (if I ever make it back).

Photo credit: Lauren Mandel

We ordered a side of Roasted Shishito Peppers, which were fine. Slightly blackened and soft, but did not really add much to the meal for me.

We were told by a previous patron that the Spicy Rock Shrimp Tempura Hand Roll was the best thing on the menu, so we ordered one and each took a bite. It was quite delicious, with lightly battered shrimp and something creamy that I definitely did not hate.

The Spicy Seared Albacore was served with crispy red onions and ponzu sauce. I had a taste of this, and it was good. Not too memorable, but I did like how the crispy red onions gave the soft albacore some texture.

I loved the Edamame Dumplings served with lobster and mushrooms in a mirin broth. The dumplings were soft and perfectly cooked, with a creamy edamame texture inside. The lobster was great, as lobster with anything is usually great. The mirin broth made the mushrooms sort of tangy in a super tasty way. I would definitely order this again.

Photo credit: Lauren Mandel

The Kobe Style Potstickers were lightly browned, not greasy, and served with a ponzu dipping sauce. I found this dish very tasty, but I have to say that texturally it was a little odd. The kobe beef was a little more dense than the average potsticker filling, so the beef separated from the wonton once you cut it or took a bite. Again, still tasted good, but just noticed the difference from most other potstickers I have had.

Next up is the Grilled Tiger Prawns, served with pearl onions, sweet potatoes and a kumquat glaze. These were fine. Shrimp is my favorite protein, so naturally I enjoyed them, but I would not say there was anything special about the way the prawns were prepared. However, the side "stuff" of pearl onions and sweet potatoes was very good (the plate was cleaned by the end).

Photo credit: Lauren Mandel
The Steamed Chilean Sea Bass, with ginger and shiitake mushrooms, was excellently prepared. The fish was sliced thinly and practically melted in your mouth. Sea bass is one of my favorites types of fish, and this did not disappoint. The sauce and mushrooms accompanied the fish well and created a well balanced dish.

Photo credit: Lauren Mandel

One of the top dishes was the Spiced Braised Short Ribs with a plum wine reduction and wasabi cauliflower purée. The short ribs were tender and flavorful, and each piece sat on top of a creamy cauliflower puree. The presentation was also lovely. This was one of the more "hearty" dishes we ordered, therefore the most fulfilling.

Photo credit: Alicia Dreher
Overall, I had a great meal. It's also better to go with a large group and order many dishes to try. The service was fine and most dishes were above average. Since it ain't cheap, I will not be going frequently, but would highly recommend it for a date, group, or even work related dining experience.

1 comment: