Sunday, June 23, 2013

Restaurant Review: Lamberts

Meal #2 in Austin had to be BBQ, of course. My hotel is conveniently located 1.5 blocks away from a highly recommended BBQ spot, Lamberts. I walked in and noticed immediately that the bar was full, but to my luck there was another bar upstairs! I snagged the one open seat up there and perused the menu. I received a bar menu and a regular menu. I knew I wanted brisket, so I was between the Oak Smoked Natural Black Angus Brisket served with house pickled escabeche from the regular menu, and the BBQ combo option from the bar menu, including 1 protein + 2 sides. I asked the bartender what she thought and she basically said it was a matter of if I wanted more protein or more sides. I figured I'd go with more sides, so I could try more things, and unbeknownst to me everything on the bar menu was 50% off for happy hour. Go me. So, for $7.58 I got 3 slices of brisket, a side of collard greens, and a side of jicama slaw. I also ordered a beer and asked for a side of cornbread and magically both were gratis (the beer was because the bartender forgot to immediately bring it over and felt bad).

So, the brisket was delicious, as expected. It has blackened edges that is made from the brown sugar and coffee rub, and it is so well seasoned but not overwhelming. The brisket could probably have been a bit more tender, but that may just be my Jewish-style brisket expectations. Also, about 1/3 of each piece was fat, so I was a bit disappointed in how much of the portion I could not (or did not want to) eat. The collard greens were pretty good. They were made with some kind of pork product, naturally, and cooked long and well. The jicama slaw was made with red cabbage, carrots, and ugh, cilantro. I didn't realize when I ordered! I managed to pick the big pieces out, making it tolerable. Aside from the cilantro, the slaw was great. Light, crisp, and had a nice vinegar dressing. It was a great compliment to the rest of the meal. The cornbread was served as mini muffins, which was cute. You could see the bits of corn and jalapeno in it, which shows the homemade-ness. Pretty good, but I think I've had better.



Overall, not bad. I have to say though, I was expecting to be blown away by my first true Texas BBQ experience, but I guess I will have to keep searching (or just go to BrisketTown in BK).

No comments:

Post a Comment