Friday, May 24, 2013

Restaurant Review: CASK

I tried a out a new spot with some friends to kick off a likely uneventful Memorial Day weekend. CASK is a cute spot tucked away in Murray Hill. They have a solid selection of small plates, which I love because sharing is caring...or just a great way to try more items on the menu. Also, they have Happy Hour until 8pm which was a delightful surprise! I ordered the Blood Orange Jalapeno Margarita, made with house infused Jalapeno Sauza Blanco, fresh lime juice, Cointreau, and blood orange puree. I was assured the Jalapeno Sauza Blanco was not too jalapeno-y, since I did not want another Sweet Heat situation. And it was actually a very well balanced drink with fresh orange and only the slight taste of jalapeno without the major kick.

There were 5 of us eating, but only 3 sharing so we decided on 5 Small Plates: Caramelized Brussel Sprouts, Red Neck Sushi, Truffle Mac n' Cheese, Philly Cheese Steak Spring Rolls, and a last minute Bruschetta Flatbread.

The Brussel Sprouts were made with spicy chorizo and creamy manchego. They were large pieces and not crispy, so it was difficult to cut into bites. The manchego was melted on top, but had started to congeal by the time we got it (definitely not "creamy"), so it was not the most appetizing dish. I would not order this one again.



Now, the Red Neck Sushi was a fun, creative dish. It was plated to look like sushi, even with accompanying chopsticks, but the rolls were actually made of port braised smoked pork belly, applewood smoked bacon, and maple glazed pickled jalapenos, and then a refreshing side of bosc pear green apple slaw. Each piece was made of tasty layers of rolled up salty, delicious pork. So needless to say that if pork is your friend, you might want to consider this dish.



The Truffle Mac n' Cheese was honestly your basic mac n' cheese dish made with aged white cheddar, reggiano, and black truffles. These were not the most potent truffles, not that I was expecting top quality from here, but just sayin. Was this the best mac n' cheese I have ever had? Certainly not. Would I order it again? Probably.



So, let's talk about the Philly Cheese Steak Spring Rolls. This one definitely gets my vote for creativity. In theory, this should be ridiculous - Philly style steak and melted cheese stuffed inside a crispy wrapper. However, it was unfortunately extremely greasy... which everyone knows equals delicious, but I could not order this again for fear of my arteries closing up right there at the table. I did appreciate the horseradish cream and chili aioli dipping sauces it was served with, though. If you are really determined to try this, I would highly recommend splitting it with 6 people (it comes as 3 rolls each split in half), because you really only need one piece.

Lastly, the Bruschetta Flatbread. This was a last minute add on for fear of not ordering enough food. I think we could all agree that we would have been fine with the first 4 (plus a healthy share of the bread basket, oops). However, I wish this came out earlier in the meal because it was better than the Brussel Sprouts and the Spring Rolls. It was like a small pizza, with a nice thin and crispy crust. Topped with fresh mozz, roasted tomato, red onion, and pestoooo. Got to love a good touch of pesto, but not too much of course.

Unfortunately, I did not manage to snap pics of the Spring Rolls or the Flatbread. Sorry folks.

However, I did get one of the Cask Chopped Salad, which I did not try any of (so I cannot comment), but the other 2 diners both ordered it and enjoyed. It came with mixed greens, feta cheese, asparagus, cucumber, roasted pepper, tomato, carrots, olives, onion, and a tomato basil vinaigrette.


Side bar - the highlight of the night was the proposal we witnessed at the table a few down from us. All of a sudden there were gasps and commotion and we look over to see this guy down on one knee! I have never seen a proposal happen in real life, so that was exciting, and sweet...for that girl anyways.

Overall, I give it a 6.5 out of 10, which provides a window of willingness to go back and try a few other things. Good place for Happy Hour and groups of 4-6!

No comments:

Post a Comment