Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Restaurant Review: Sen NYC

I went to Sen NYC with two of my besties to celebrate a special birthday (aren't they all special?). We had some decent food, however, the service was bad and I would consider this place overpriced.

Service:
To start, the waiter brought us edamame though we did not order it. He told us to keep it anyway which was nice, but then forgot to take it off the bill. So we had to remind him of that. That was when we finally got the bill. The waiter went very MIA after we got our food. I think it took about 30 minutes for him to come back after he cleared dessert to ask if we wanted the check. The only upside to that was I had a wonderful time catching up with my girls.

Food:
We ordered several dishes and split between the 3 of us. We started with edamame (as forementioned, on the house), which was actually really good. Probably the most flavorful and well cooked edamame I have had, and salted just right.

Edamame
Next was the Tuna Tartare, with takuan pickle, shallot, cured quail egg, crispy wonton, and spicy yuzo dressing. This was delicious too, but such a small portion. Not what I was expecting for $16. However, it had a nice textural balance and the quail egg made such a difference in flavor.

Tuna Tartare (sorry for the poor quality photo)
Then came 2 rolls, the Hot Tuna (tuna with three spiced chili sauce) and another specialty roll that is slipping my mind. They were both good rolls, but clearly not too memorable! I always think that all sushi is good, because if it's bad, then it's BAD. So I mean, yea it was good sushi with nice fresh ingredients.

Also, we got the Cahan Rice Pot. This included garlic fried rice, a slow cooked egg that you could break open and mix in, shaved green onion, and sesame seeds. This was a great dish that complimented our other dishes well. This was a bit more substantial and I always like egg mixed in, so that was a plus. I would definitely order this again.

Last was the Harami Garlic Skewer. This came with 3 skewers of wagyu skirt steak and crisped garlic chips on top. The steak was very tasty but a little chewy. However, that is basically the definition of skirt steak, so in other words it was exactly what you might expect. There was a nice garlic flavor and the chips were in fact crispy.

Sushi Rolls, Cahan Rice Pot, and Harami Garlic Skewer
Last was the green tea ice cream (no photo). A favorite flavor of mine, and this did not disappoint. We split one scoop and that's all we needed. It was rich, creamy, and tasted authentic and homemade.

Overall, I probably would not return. There are so many other places for Japanese food and Sen NYC did not offer anything above and beyond, including service.

No comments:

Post a Comment